Return to TU Virtual Town Hall

hello everyone this is Kim schatzel and it’s good to be able to have a chance to visit with you all virtually today for another Town Hall I want to begin by introducing the folks that are with me on the panel we have Melanie Perot who’s the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs Ben Lowenthal who is the vice president of admin and Finance and also our chief Fiscal Officer and Vernon hurt who’s our vice president of student affairs we’re going to spend as much time as possible to be able to answer questions so I want to make sure that I get to those very very quickly but I do want to take a few moments and just thank the co-chairs of the return to you task force and that would be Vernon as well as Melanie and saris laugh and Steve Jones for all the work that they’ve been doing as well as the dozens and dozens of individuals from across the campus were working on the implementation teams and the hundreds of people that are also working in subcommittees and doing their jobs to prepare the campus for the return of classes and people coming back in the fall I can share with you the fact that last night I went out to dinner with my husband and the person who was the weight person for us was a student from Towson University by the name of Marty she was a music and she is a music education student and she’s a rising senior and when she started talking to me and she introduced herself one of the things that she talked to me about was how excited she was to be coming back to campus how much of friends meant to atiba coming back to campus how much she was looking forward to the faculty we also commiserated on the fact that the last event we saw was prism that she was in wasn’t that but that we didn’t do Pirates of Penzance Jer that we didn’t have the dance recitals that we typically have and with her being a rising senior she was really really really hoping that she would be able to experience those type of important milestones in her senior year she also talked about the fact that she was observing in the fall as music education manager and was going to be doing her student teaching in the spring spending that time with her I really said that I realized how much I miss our students and I know we all do and how much our students miss us so that everybody working together to come back to campus to provide for that experience I just want to say thank you to everyone it’s going to be a different campus it’s gonna be a campus we’re going to use physical distancing we’re going to have lower density we’re going to have masks but that face to face experience that our students have with our faculty and our staff that means so much as a high-impact practice where they do have the opportunity to have mentorship in small classes and personal attention well it’s one of the reasons that we have one of the highest student success rates of universities in the nation it just means so much 85% of our students come from Maryland and of those 100 % of them are either going to be that’s all 23,000 are either going to be living in a residence hall commuting from home or they’re going to be an apartment on campus they are looking forward to returning and as I said it’s going to be a different campus for us but we’re going to work together to make sure that it’s an experience for them that means so much 24% of our students are Pell Grant eligible and about 28% are first-generation so this means a lot to them and often those students or ones that are most vulnerable so the support that we can give them when they’re on campus or when they’re in the classrooms even though it might be different in terms of the fact that it’ll be a hybrid where half of the class might be coming every third day and the rest will be done with streaming it’s still gonna make an impact on their success so I just want to tell you the fact that I enjoyed talking to Marty last week and last night and I know that all of us are working together to make sure that we can reinvent this campus for a hybrid for our students to be successful and I just really look forward to I want to thank you everyone for all the work that they’re doing with that I appreciate you letting indulging me to be able to talk about Marty and to be able to share that but if we can go on to questions marina Cooper I think you’ll be handling the questions vice-president of university marketing communications isn’t that right that’s right Thank You presidents Axel and we have our first few questions already in folks can use the Q&A if you scroll down to the bottom of your screen that should for you at the bottom first question is will students who are coming from hotspots be quarantined upon their arrival on campus so I’ll take that one the governor one of the things that we’re doing of course is to be able to take a look at what the governor’s directives are as many of you have read Connecticut New York and New Jersey just basically provided for that type of quarantine there is no such quarantine that we’re looking at in terms of Maryland in terms of the governor itself

so at this time in terms of being to work with the governor’s directors as well see we’re not going to be requiring that but as we’ve said from the beginning things could change it’s also the fact that in many of those states that they tightened up instead of moving to opening quickly they’ve actually retrenched but I can in the fact that we will be closely monitoring it as well as the USM is closely monitoring it we’re at constant contact with the governor’s office in the legislature with regards to making sure we’re compliant with the latest health practices and set public safety practices thank you next question will be directed at my president hurt will Campus Recreation be opening this fall or Thank You marina so the plan is that Campus Recreation will be open you know we anticipate that we will have different functions will have social distancing in place we’ll certainly have limited activities based on what our state and CDC guidance is but we certainly committed to having its optimal of campus size as possible so Campus Recreation will be open excellent thank you next question is I think this one might be directed to president and you can defer of course it’s difficult for me to breathe with a mask may I wear a face shield instead we recently put out I think it was yesterday that the past team leaders the returns to your task force cold chairs put out a message and coming next week is going to be a mask policy that really is very specific and detailed about what what kind of mass when they would be used one of the issues is of course in the fact that if you have some type of breathing difficulty that we need to be able to make accommodations for that so I would suggest the fact that when that policy comes out next week that you take a good read to it if there’s questions of course we’ll be able to clarify any of those but we’re taking those kinds of situations into consideration as we’re developing the policies that’s great we have a follow-up to that question and it’s from coach Diane Richardson will everyone be required to wear a mask so yes but there are exceptions in terms of sonorous exercise physical distancing outside again I don’t have the policy in front of me but I can tell you that we are going to be a masked campus most specifically in terms of the buildings themselves and areas around campus where you cannot socially distance they’re going to be required and we’re specific about what they look like when we’re dealing with strenuous exercise and when we’re dealing with athletic exercise there are exceptions that we’re going to be looking at because I think that’s probably where Coach which is who might be interested in having an answer to but we’ve worked in conjunction with athletics as well to be able to take those into consideration so again the policy I believe is coming out next week and I believe based on the questions dredgen and I’ve read it it’s very very complete but we look forward to having additional questions about it or if there’s gaps that need to be closed in terms of the policy itself so this is a full understanding here’s here’s one for vice-president Lowenthal will there be changes in the parking charges due to staff not being on campus full time in the fall semester Thank You marina for that question and the answer is yes in fact what we were doing is charging for parking first of all only on a semester Lea basis so that we can continue to monitor and the good news is that that semester only cost will be 50% of the normal semester parking rate and that’s true for just about all students and faculty and staff resident students who will be parking on campus 24/7 will have a 20% discount so the most part everybody will have a 50% discount on parking and that is if you opt in to take that parking course if you not coming on campus very frequently and choose not to buy a pass the semester we pass this we’ll have available the ability to buy the daily tasks excellent Thank You Ben this is do you want to just add the change in terms of the residents students going to West Village Commons to free up more space yes thank you president schatzel so in addition we’re going to free up lot 26 which is the lot that’s right next to the Glenn powers by moving students for resident students to West Village so that will allow for more spots in the core of campus because we anticipate

that will be more demand certainly a key times middle of the day where there’s more students commuting at the same time that should be offset by the fact that there will be fewer people parking on campus teleworking arrangements and fewer resident students overall so that will become available it’s 150 or so spots that will be added and then parking transportation will continue to monitor throughout when we see if there’s opportunity to possibly allow for even more spaces with ensuring that no one loses their space we will make changes as we go along into the semester thanks Benji thank you next question is from Bethany we let’s help she asked is there a plan for what faculty and students will be expected to do if and when a student or faculty might have a confirmed case of kovin 19 for example in that hypothetical situation will we be requiring self-quarantine so verna you want to take that yeah yeah I will speak to the student part of it so we will have a process in place for both faculty staff and students to be able to report to the to the campus Cobin 19 positive cases or having any contact with someone who has been koban 19 positive in the case of students who may be somatic or koba 19 positive we are holding one of our towers as isolation space for students to be able to self isolate so those students who are residential will have that space to be able to self isolate for the required period of time so just to chime in here we’re also partnering with Baltimore County for the contact tracing protocols so all of that would fall into place in accordance with the CDC guidance in Baltimore County’s policies and so the contact tracing would begin immediately and so people would be notified and told what’s recommended at that time thank you thank you both this next question is really about large scale events and so I’m going and it’s about whether or not there will be large-scale events of 50 or plus also asking about if we’ve made any plans surrounding homecoming for fall 2020 term yet so I’ll talk about the event you know a lot of this is going to be determined by what our state guidance is at that point at this sector we are not planning to host any events for off-campus sponsors in terms of campus events we will have opportunity for some campus events I anticipate we will not have large-scale events many large-scale events but we will have you know the state guidance to help make those determinations we do have a subgroup but then the return to TU task force that’s actually looking at our policies both from a facility capacity standpoint and also our policies around programming no decisions have been made at this point regarding major events like homecoming or family weekend but we do have some meetings upcoming to make some decisions and so I anticipate we’ll have decisions in the coming week thank you next couple questions were really around screening and symptom screening on campus will students and faculty members as well as staff members will their temperatures be checked as they entered the building each a I’m gonna give that one to President Chad so I think you have some background on that but others can also chime in as well Thank You marina so one of the things that I’d first want to be able to provide is the fact that we’re working with the other USM institutions one of the big benefits that we’ve had of being part of the University System of Maryland is the fact that there’s other campuses and one of them is actually UNB and it’s an academic it’s a medical school and it’s also an academic hospital that has some of the you know many of the professors that are there are on governor Hogan’s Task Force they’re you know nationally known for Iowa’s nationally an epidemiologist infectious disease people so one of those things that I just want to make sure of is the fact that we are getting tremendous expertise and tremendous support from from the US and from the medical school from the University Medical Center to be able to come up with the regiments that we’re using the experts are recommending right now that

they’re symptom checking so what we will provide is the fact that where everybody’s gonna get a care kit all faculty staff and students are going to be getting a care kit and I believe the latter part of July or early August and one of the items in there is going to be a digital thermometer and with that digital thermometer we’re asking people to be able to do a symptom check every single morning and in the symptom check tool that’s going to be used it will ask for temperature or lasts for various symptoms I think three or four questions and depending on the responses to that you’ll be advised to be able to contact actually a telemedicine group that is going to be stood up by the University of Maryland Baltimore the BL provide for guidance in terms of what you should do next whether you should go to an emergency room which is usually not the case whether you should self quarantine what who you should contact on campus so we’ll have all those procedures to be able to be set out to provide guidance both for the faculty staff and students as Vernon said with the students if there’s any issues in terms of symptom that they will be quarantined and we’ll be communicating with faculty and staff as well and we have a risk possibilities to report so somebody is testing their positive Cove in nineteen they need to report to us and we need to be able to report to Maryland Public Health in Baltimore County Public Health to be able to do the contract tracing thank you also a question from Kate Collins around testing as well the testing on campus that’s available to faculty and staff during this pilot and particularly the plans that the university is making perhaps going forward will this include antibody testing or is it only for kovat 19 so as it sits right now and I’ll answer a bit and I’ll I’ll give it over to to Vernon right now we’re part of a pilot test that we’re actually working with UMBC College Park as well as with UNB and what we’re doing is we’ve stood up if any of you have driven past campus there’s a big white tent out of the out in front of the health center and we’re providing testing to groups that have been considered higher risk which is some of the ABM folks that are coming back the dining folks athletics the students both faculty and staff as well as the research faculty that are returning to campus so it’s the first people coming back that we’re bringing and be able to do the testing what we’re planning on doing is to continuing that and making that available to the rest of campus so that we would be able to keep that stood up have it open for two or three days this is all by appointment so that people can get the Cova test if the demand exceeds capacity will have referral for example if mone and Fair Grounds they’re they’re providing as well so we’ll be able to provide referral but at this time it is solely based on the test for koban 19 not the antibody test so it’s a serology tests I believe what it is I’ve probably learned more medical terms in the last six months than I in my entire life but I think it’s the serology tests but it’s an important part of what we want to do and again we’re participating across the system in terms of being able to make sure that we’re using similar protocols and to be able to do that and it’s going to be manned by MedStar nursing we’re going to hire nurses to be able to come in because we don’t have the bandwidth to be able to have the University our own Health Center and to be able to have it’s staffed appropriately to be able to do Vernon do you want to add some more to what I’ve already said I think you’ve covered it well all right excellent well let’s play more questions we got about 52 open questions so I’m gonna keep pushing through some of these we’ve got the question of will all faculty staff and students need to complete that daily survey and as the president mentioned even if there are they aren’t coming to campus on a particular day due to remote teaching and learning I think we can add that’s I really don’t know in all honesty of whether it’s if you’re coming my understanding and again I don’t want to jump ahead of myself in terms of doing it but so people correct me and we’ll have I trust me we’ll have this all laid out by the time we we start phasing back in my understanding is is the fact that you do need to take it each day that it’s not just when you’re coming to campus so and I’m looking at my colleagues to see if I’m right yeah yes so so the part of the goal is to be able to understand trend lines and so you know we would like people to do it every single day even if you’re not coming to campus because that will help understand if we see an increase or a spike of people saying something’s not not right so the aggregated data will go to there’s a faculty panel that’s been established that will review the daily results just to see if there’s a trend that’s happening they will not see any disaggregated data

and nobody will and that data will be wiped every 14 days so and when you see it as the president says it’s a three three questions it’s I would say very non intrusive but it’ll help us to get some idea do we see a spike do we see something happening here really kind of an early warning system so the more that people do it the better thank you next question is what technology we can keep this with the Provost what technology does tu have available for faculty and students implement live online class such as video this is particularly concerns this individual Kevin because the class that he teaches includes a lab portion right so we are busily building out so there already was were many costumes that had that that capability but OTS is spending the summer putting in additional capacity so to the tune of half a million dollars so they’ve put up they’re putting different systems in different rooms and in other places where it doesn’t make sense to have a fixed camera they’ve purchased a bunch of mobile units and so we’re confident that every classroom will have the ability to be have the to be visually recorded or visually broadcast some simulcast so every classroom is going to have it so we’re feeling confident about that excellent thank you next question is kind of two parts and we’ll start with the president on this one and there might be others at chime in when will faculty and staff be coming back to campus and will faculty and staff go to full remote work post Thanksgiving so we’re gonna phase the campus reopening so actually we just sent out a staff survey to be able to determine that and I know the Provost is sending out a second faculty survey to be able to take a look at how we can phase people coming in so it’ll be a phase reopening so you should be getting information about that over the next two three or four weeks in terms of being able to return to campus itself and the provost I think and answer the question about after Thanksgiving sure so so our research faculty by the way are starting this week so we are that’s part of it that’s the first phase coming in but yes so the plan is that after Thanksgiving all courses will go to remote delivery so there will be no face-to-face on campus at all post Thanksgiving so it’s about a three week period thank you follow-up question from Jeremy Farkas without knowing yet with the Maryland Department of Education and in his case Baltimore County Public Schools are planning K through 12 returning to school will t you support faculty staff parents of K through 12 teleworking half days or even possibly one to three days a week should there be a gradual return or full move to online learning for some of those lower grade levels in K through 12 right that that’s a really interesting question because we’re about sixty days out from you know public schools being opened it’s hard to be able to speculate what that would look like and what that would mean you know when it comes we’re asking people to be able to report what they can do because of the fact that we have to be able to provide support for the students and the faculty to be able to open up as as needed it will cause us to have to take a pause to be able to understand what that impact would have on the campus itself and it’s not just our campus it’ll be across the state in terms of both businesses as well as government operations so we’ll have to take a look at that and monitor as as time goes on thank you next question Stephen iceberg from and this one’s for the Provost will there be a university-wide standard for faculty to follow and moving face to face courses to synchronous online delivery an example is if a class is scheduled to meet Tuesday Thursday 11:00 a.m. will the faculty be asked to deliver live streamed class sessions at those times so what we’re asking we’re keeping the times we’ll stay in the schedule for any synchronous delivered classes because it’s really important that faculty stick to that time so that they don’t intrude upon other classes so so those times will stay so any activity any synchronous activity has to fall within the confines of that class and so what I’ve asked faculty to do is even even if

your your plan is to be off campus the whole semester if you could have at least one synchronous activity a week what that is what that synchronous activity is can differ of course by class and by faculty member but our students crave that live interaction with faculty members and that that was very clear after the spring and so having that contact having that ability to ask questions to have discussions it’s really important for our students and so that’s why we’re asking look you know whatever whatever synchronous means to you what it how it fits to your class we would really like you do to do your best to do that thank you provost well I have you our nursing students going to be able to do clinicals and hospitals for the fall term you know anything about experience your learning your clinical experiences so you know I know that’s a real right now and you know we’re a highly hopeful that they can there are some students right now that are doing clinicals this summer as you might imagine some of the hospitals have you know their priorities shifted very quickly during the the pandemic where being able to do that intensive work with the with the student was set aside because their focus really had to be on treating patients and some very sick patients and so we’re hopeful that will come up so dr. Dean plough field is is working with a whole return to research team and part of their job is looking at how to safely return to clinicals and so they have all sort of protocols put together and so for each clinical for each internship for each field experience we’ll be asking a set of questions so that people say here here’s a standards are how are you meeting them safely and then that clinical or that experience can be approved but so so a lot one really rests on our partners in healthcare but I know they’re all working very hard to be able to have enough of those for our students thank you next question is around budget we received a budget message last Friday vice-president Lowenthal how is Towson University doing in terms of its financial standing and are there any budget questions or excuse me budget updates that you can provide for us at this time so the message we sent last Friday is really really stands right now no no additional updates to add to that I just want to repeat that we’ve been working very hard to combine all the tools that we have available including the fact that we have a hiring freeze we’re coming back in a big way on purchasing we did get a significant amount here as federal dollars and all these tools put together is what enables us to continue to say that we do not anticipate any actions in terms of employee actions layoffs or furloughs and that will continue to just be a very last resort as we move forward so we are hopeful that that will stay that way and we’re appreciative of the cooperation that we need from everyone and cut back on the spending in order to enable us to continue to move forward with that and really protect our people which is the most important asset yeah if I can add it’s been a priority of mine and it’s been a priority of the senior leadership team in the president’s cabinet that we’re going to make sure that the first priority is our faculty and staff and that’s meant the fact that as I described it we have to find two more holes in our belt as we pull it tighter and tighter and the fact that you know we started out with a hiring pause and now we’re at a hiring Arctic freeze and the reason is is because of the fact that everything we do to be able to avoid costs right now just the fact that we can continue with our efforts to be able to protect our faculty and staff and and make sure that we can keep their them whole and keep their livelihood I also feel the fact that it’s it’s it’s really tough to hire people into new positions when we’re doing it this way and it really puts a big burden on them so all in all it just makes sense from from that standpoint as well as the fact that we want to make sure that we keep our faculty and staff our priority I know that’s causing a lot of people to rethink priorities and to find different ways of doing with less and that’s what we are asking people to do but it really means a lot and I just want to say I’m very grateful for everybody working together to have that happen thank you

the next question is really around students and trying to balance and figure out their schedules for next year when will students know whether or not their classes that they will be taking will be online or in person and will they able will they be able to dictate their preferences and how do they ensure that an online class might not be happening at the same time as an in-person class so I’ll take that one we are doing a second faculty survey next week to understand that what the faculty intent is after having some time to think about it and to see some of the preparations we’ve done on campus what’s what is the the faculty choice our expectation is by mid July we will put into the class schedule every single class will have a note on it that indicates what the mode of delivery is going to be so there’s essentially asynchronous online so that means anytime a synchronous online so that has the the time connected to it and then a face to face which will also have sort of that hybrid element that it will be recorded in some fashion so that it can be simulcast up to anybody who doesn’t a student who can’t come into to campus so those are the different options that will be out there each of them will be noted in the course schedule again by mid-july as our expectation and so we’re told normally when a course goes online you remove the timeslot and your everything from it but because we’re asking for this synchronous element we are leaving the time slots in and so that’s how we’re trying to reinforce this idea please don’t tumble into somebody else’s course so so that’s that will be the expectation that all of our courses stay within the confines of the assigned time and that they don’t bump up against some other course thank you what special considerations are being considered taken and proposed for live-in staff with housing and Residence Life this is a question for vice-president hurt particularly those that might be exposed to students 24/7 once they return to campus that’s one of the things that you know we’re taking a look at to to the point that the president made earlier in terms of some of our staff who are more high-risk that’s certainly a group and so working with our assistant vice president for a housing residents life Kelly Oubre to look at how we might make staffing arrangement to have everything from appropriate PPE to even you know different ways of working to be able to have appropriate protections in place that support for those staff who are more in those high-risk categories thank you next question I think this one’s for the Provost will the child care center be open um at least for faculty staff and students and if so what what is the plan for keeping a lower capacity at the Towson child care center so it will be open they’re working on the plan right now until we I’m expecting a final proposal shortly within a week or two so so of course there’s all sorts of regulations and guidance specific to child care centers and so our child care center will follow all of the requirements that are out there but our intent is to open it thank you this is a question I think for the president what would trigger short of the president excuse me short of the governor issuing a statewide shelter-in-place what types of indicators would trigger the campus to move to a online or remote remote format again that the only thing I can think of would be either that there was a statewide or local decision to do that so neither come from the governor’s office but there’s also the provision of the fact that the Baltimore County chief executive can also do that so the governor set some sets a minimum bar I guess is the best way to be able to say that but all the counties could be able to make changes that way but we would be guided by state and local directives we would not be making those kind of decisions by ourselves thank you there’s another question here around cleaning and how and who will be in charge of cleaning how will that happen between classes in the ten minutes between classes that that begins and and what about classrooms with fabric seats

so maybe want me to tackle the classroom question and then maybe one of y’all can tackle the larger so if you’ve come into the vacuum it buildings at the there’s you’re gonna see everywhere giant buckets of you know those wipes but if you’ve gone to the grocery store it’s a very similar situation so there’s hand sanitizer stations and there’s these the wipes so the expectation is that when you walk down the hall as a student you grab the wipe and you hit your desk and hit your immediate area and that’s how that’s the treatment between classes and then at the end beginning in the end of the day there’s a larger cleaning I’ll turn that over to to Ben to talk about yeah so we’ve been working with our vendor ABM they have increased the cleanings they will continue to do that they’re concentrating primarily on the spots that are highest contact so things like doorknobs etc they’ll be cleaning those multiple times a day and they’ll be doing comprehensive cleanings at the end of each day and of course they’re using all kinds of we sanitizing equipment that’s CDC guidelines provide so that it does kill and germs that might have been there at the same time I’ll go back to the prevalence at a moment ago is that it would be pretty much impossible to do this every few minutes so we certainly hope and appreciate that anyone that’s coming onto campus make use of those wipes those will be monitored constantly and there’s also a phone number in each one of those tables so that if anyone notices that those are not in supply call that number will neatly make sure to get the sanitizing hand sanitizer and the wipes refilled and clean around your own areas the best way to ensure that there are no terms that are like my thank you and here’s a follow-up question to that and this one might be more for the provost our class is gonna be held in non-traditional spaces for example conference rooms ballrooms temporary outdoor locations yes so so we are getting very creative with with classrooms that I appreciate the the assistance of our events at conference services and and everybody’s working in facilities so we will be using West Village Commons as classrooms we’re looking everywhere there’s a space can become a classroom or an office so we know that that that’s another potential issue people not necessarily want to meet with their students in a small office so a seminar room could become a temporary office so we are also getting creative the College of Health Professions has requested a tent large scale tent to be put up outside to put essentially a simulation lab outside because you know the idea of circulating students through in an outdoor environment they feel is a little safer and they can get this the physical distancing they’re looking for so so everything’s everything is an option here it’s from from tents to gym spaces to the conference spaces we’re prioritizing academic delivery as number one use and then and then cooperating with each other on how we might swap out for for other uses but there’ll be all sorts of alternative spaces for the fall great thank you a little bit more about the those spaces this one’s for vice-president Lowenthal what is being done to modify inside spaces for buildings on campus to protect faculty staff or students example air purification Plexiglas barrier signage et cetera thank you very nice so if you when you come back on campus if that is the case you’ll see their sign is going up all over campus that very clearly indicates which doors are used for ingress which are egress the hallways have signings in terms of which direction folks should be walking in making sure that one side or the other we have many for decals on the floor in areas that would be a waiting type area so in front of elevators or restrooms that our space 6 feet apart so everyone knows where to stand there’s also a an effort and actually it’s been completed the right facility has completed the effort to maximize the amount of air circulation in every building on campus in many many cases that’s at a hundred percent some cases it’s slightly less but that is as CDC has described helps keep safety of everyone a much higher level because we’re constantly recycling the air with fresh air from the outdoors and the shields as far as the price gaps feels facilities is also working on that they’ve installed those in places where social distancing is difficult in particular places like the University

store we’re doing a transaction to the counter in dining facilities as well working on installing all of those so that they’ll be in place in time for the start of semester later in August so I’ll just chime in on the academic space and plexiglas facilities has also reached out to each of the deans and asked for their needs for plexiglass as well so that conversation is happening right now thank you next question is around to follow up on requirements well students and faculty be required to self quarantine if they test positive and along those same lines our faculty staff and students required to be tested prior to returning to campus so I could take the I could take that they will be required if you’re a student residential student you’ll be required to quarantine as as Vernon talked about we have one of the residence halls to be able to do that if you’re a residential student if you are off campus we’re going to ask you to quarantine in place to be able to do that so that’s gonna be a requirement to do it in terms of testing upon coming back to campus I’ll give this to the Provost the Provost actually sits on the USM returned to campus return to class task force that spreads across the USM and one of the areas that there’s as I’ve mentioned there’s a tremendous amount of collaboration on with the expertise is in the area of testing monitoring PPE so foremost thank you so so the the best scientific guidance at this time is that we should not do mass testing that that’s not an effective way to monitor the spread of the illness and so so they really emphasize that symptom monitoring is a way to go and so that’s why we’ve really worked toward that direction but as we said we we are offering a one time copán tests for all faculty staff and students should they choose to do it again it’s right on our campus or if it gets too too busy here of course there’s alternate sites have been set up throughout the county so so the the best scientific guidance does not suggest that mass testing is the most effective way to to monitor kovin so so we’ll continue to follow science if that changes and that advice shifts we will shift with it thank you next questions for vice-president Lowenthal well dining areas be open and will there be restrictions for those purchasing meals and who want to dine in Thank You marina yes dining areas the most part be open we have a Dining Plan that will support the needs of the campus there will be a few changes so there’ll be one or two areas that are closed some were supposed to be closed anyway due to construction on campus so susquehanna for example will be closed as part of the Union construction that we now have Glen dining that is opening for the fall will be a new retail in Glen dining that wasn’t there prior due to the new construction and for the most part campus dining will be open with slight shifts and hours so the hours used to go to 2 a.m. in some cases we’re gonna stop that at 11:00 p.m. for the safety of our students and those who are on campus the most part dining will be serving the same sort of food it’ll be take out though we take out there will be an option for some internal inside dining if you will using the same guidelines that we have in the state guidelines which is at 50% capacity so that will be an option for those who choose to do so there are a couple locations where we have outdoor dining available as well and we are currently looking into trying to expand that for those who would like to eat and prefer to the outside rather than inside so that that’s the high level Dining Plan thank you next question is about excuse me this is around classes what were classes looked like for Koufax students obviously there are a number of excuse me a number of students within the cofac that have music classes and a number of different formatting classes for those and tell me about the conversations that are happening with with the Dean and Kovac sure so the great thing about the the of cofac is almost by definition they’re creative and so they’ve been working very very hard to come up with solutions to you know clearly there’s a challenge you cannot play the bassoon with a mask on and so how do you safely

do that how do you safely run a choral class and so so they are best position to understand how to do that and so not only are they talking within the ranks of Koufax but of course nationally this is a challenge across the board so you know as music associations are coming up with separate standards and ideas of how to build Plexiglas or can you just do a choral a private lesson but literally in a classroom 20 feet away so so we’re going to defer to those standards that the the specialists in those fields have established but you know I’m hearing some really tremendous work that’s going on at cofac and so there I’m confident they were gonna offer high quality classroom experience that that they always have like everyone else it’s going to be modified but they’re coming up with great ways to do it thank you one attendee is grateful that we’re on zoom’ today and follow-up question to that is for vice-president Lowenthal when will faculty and staff have access to zoom and is this something new that the university is exploring Thank You marina I’m happy to answer that question OTS has been working very hard to make them available to all faculty staff and we anticipate that by the end of next week it will be made available all faculty and staff university-wide and we will send further instruction and the specifics of how to access that again sometime towards the end of next week I just I just want to offer you know my my thanks to the Jeff as well as to Ben and the entire OTS team for you know for pivoting to be able to make zoom available to us as quickly as they they’ve done because I know there’s a high demand for it within the campus area so thanks very much to the two of you and th team you’re very welcome and I also want to express my thanks to Jeff from the OTS team I will add that this is an additional tool in the toolbox so nothing else is going away we still have WebEx we have collaborate in blackboard and yeah Panopto so this is just one more tool that we’re adding box for all of our Towson University faculty and staff thank you the next question really talks about excuse me one second next question is about mask enforcement what should a faculty or staff member do in terms of a guest or a student or any member showing up without a mask how will that be enforced and will additional masks be provided so I can I can take that so we are we will be a mask campus the policies will have that we’ll have signage that provides for the fact that upon entry of the building you have to have a mask on it if someone enters the building and does not have a mask on of course we’re going to say you need to be able to have masks we will have mass available for those individuals that might have forgotten it or that they’re a visitor to be able to do that if somebody’s non-compliant then you know the first thing that we do is we it’s kind of like somebody walks into a building and they’re smoking we tell you the fact that you can’t smoke on the campus or if they don’t have shoes on this is a safety issue so it’s even more critical but we would tell them the fact that you can’t enter the building if if it became disruptive and we hope that it wouldn’t come to this because of the fact that wearing masks is it’s commonplace within Maryland I mean it’s a fair degree of compliance and on the campus there’ll be such compliance that’ll become normative behavior but if it becomes disruptive and someone is not compliant then there’ll be disciplinary action associated with in terms of the conduct code as well as in terms of the university disciplinary action both for employees and that also if it becomes highly disruptive to you PD can be called to be able to manage it as well I you know I’m hopeful given the circumstances and it’s all about safety that that won’t happen but we are going to take the masking very very seriously and make sure the fact that everybody is aware of in this compliant thank you next set of questions are really for vice-president hurt there’s a series of questions about housing here in general what what will housing look like for students on campus there’s also a question around our quarantine limitations or capabilities for students and and when will students know that’s the next question when will they know

that they’re going to get campus housing this year right well I’ll start with the last question they will know this week actually so the housing Residence Life team is in the process of making those final housing assignments and communicating that to students so they will know pretty quickly I will add that again health and safety has been the core of our planning and so we will have a lower density model so we’ll have about thirty percent less of our beds on campus we are working with a new development off campus and going into a master lease that will allow us to have about 300 more beds for students so in addition to the adjustments that we’re making on our campus housing we’re looking at other partnerships to expand housing opportunities for for our students so it will be a shift kind of find guiding following some of the best practices nationally that we’re seeing in the field but the standard will really be around shared restrooms so we will not be using communal restrooms we will have no more than two students sharing a bathroom in our facilities and so that really is the standard in most cases that’ll mean students having essentially a single room will have a limited number double capacity rooms that some of our larger apartment style facilities they began the standard being no more than two students sharing a restroom in terms of shared common spaces there will be limitations and use just like other spaces across campus we will have social distancing expectations PPE use expectations within the residence halls outside of the private room of course so you’ll see that consistency across campus including within the residence State Vernon could could you talk about the fact that prettiman in Scarborough because of the communal bathrooms that we’re taking them right they will be they will be offline I’ll speak also there was the question about capacity for quarantine so we will have a space that will have well over 100 beds available for for quarantine so we’re really fortunate that we intended to have one of our towers offline anyway and able to use that space to have pretty optimal options for students to be able to self quarantine thank you I know that you’ve made a lot of progress on trying to welcome as many students on campus as possible next questions for the Provost how are you prioritizing in-person instruction that goes hand-in-hand with kind of that residential student experience particularly for our first-year students so I have asked the the fact that the deans in the chairs to work together to prioritize having a face-to-face experience for our first-year students so they’re there looking as hard as I can to to make that happen for as many first-year classes as possible so so we know that if you’re going to have the residential experience you want the face-to-face classroom experience of course and so so that is priority number one for the chairs and the deans and that’s how we’ll work to schedule the rooms so that we can’t accommodate first the first-year students and that sort of out from there thank you this is a follow up to to vice president Hertz question will there be an appeal process for student housing for those who would like to live on campus particularly around the Living Learning Communities and and those programs initiatives that really go concert go hand-in-hand a living in learning communities first for student leaders as well as for residential students yes so there there is a appeal process that’s in place and certainly hrl has communicated that process to to those students that had active housing contracts in terms of our priorities for for housing we really looked at those students who had medical accommodation needs that required on-campus housing for those students who lived outside of 25 mile radius of campus our students who had significant financial needs and then students there their opportunity for for students to be able to appeal that may not have fell in that space majority of our freshman students with with contracts will be housed on campus and we anticipate to be able to to meet

those those needs as we’ll see shifts with students who may determine that they wanted to take all their classes online and remain at their personal residences will see shifts throughout the summer and so we’ve decided to continue to provide housing contracts for students as they make plans and make adjustments throughout the summer and so we’re committed to really working with our students and in case by case you know basis to me that must need possible thank you next question is about protocols and I will give this one device president Lowenthal it is protocols for using the restrooms well Doug well will there be multiple people in the restrooms at one time how will we provide for those capacity limitations in terms of physical distancing so I know that the return to TU groups are working on specifics regarding the restrooms that falls into the signage that I was talking about earlier but I think out the bird to the provost she’s on that committee that’s okay with you sure so there there is of course specialized CDC guidance on public restrooms so we are following that and so the eat just the same as with the classroom capacity elevator capacity there are set capacities for restrooms and so you’ll see when you get to each restroom they’ll be at capacity side and I believe they’re gonna block off you know indicate with signage you know every other stall for those multiple stall areas so so that is a plan we’ll follow that specific guidance and so yeah it’ll be reduced capacity just like everywhere else thank you next question is really around the checks and balances being put into place to ensure that some of our populations that are disproportionately impacted and marginalized members of the community as well as those with disabilities and vulnerable how how are we making accommodations for those individuals as then I’ll get that in terms of the different audiences that are represented on the panel yeah so so as we’ve talked from the from the from the outset anyone that is in a high-risk group or has family members that would be in a high-risk group that they have concerns about exposure we of course are going to accommodate those individuals we also are looking the fact that the density of the entire campus is going to come down just in general because we’re looking at a lower density model but anyone that has is in those high-risk groups or has family members that they would be concerned about should they develop the virus and bring it home we’re going to be working very very closely with them to make sure that we have accommodations to to be able to provide support for them there’s no question that we’re going to be able to do that that’s that’s what we’ve said from the very beginning and we’ll continue to be able to do that and I would just add yeah I would says from an academic and co-curricular standpoint within the return of tu task force we have a work group that’s specifically looking at various populations from a academic support standpoint in terms of whatever needs adjustments and and how we deliver opportunities and programming for students particularly thinking about our students with disabilities dr. Lea Cox is leading a group that is really looking at equity issues as we look at everything from policies the practices to ensure that our students are able and our faculty staff colleagues are able to have the resources needed and be able to have quality experience they want so and I just want to give a quick shout out to the the team over at Fassett and to all the faculty who have signed up for training which we’re pushing towards 500 faculty at this point who have signed up for summer training and so so understanding how to design your class where they’re at ibrid or completely online in a way that will help serve those students is part of that that training so I’m really appreciative of that and I’m super preciate –iv of the faculty that are taking the time to do this work this summer it’s important work and it’s really going to make a huge difference in the fall let’s keep it with the Provost in the mode of delivery be changed from one form to another during the course of the semester is that possible so we do expect that some people due to the circumstances that evolve for anybody will want to shift their modality so so we do expect that there will be some people who’ve shift from face to face to

an online environment that is possible and is not a not a very difficult thing to manage it would be a difficult thing to manage if you indicated you were going to teach online and then suddenly you determine no I’d rather do face to face so it’s really unidirectional so if you’re face to face and want to shift to distance education easy easy to manage and easy to communicate the reverse is not true simply because your students may be scattered all over the country and your classroom may have been given away so some will work we’ll try to be as flexible as possible with everybody but but we do think large you would work in one direction just a quick time check it is 501 and we promised everyone at one hour I want to be respectful of time I’m gonna ask just a couple more questions the next one is about and this is really for the panel do we do we yet have an idea of how the spring semester or calendar might look and is the plan to continue with possible high flex modality and as well as remote and online until we have a vaccine so I’m just combining a couple questions here I think that that for all of us the first the first answer to that would be it’s so difficult for us to speculate that far in advance I mean I can just reflect on if we just go back 60 days how different it was I mean you know three months ago we were practically were on campus three three months ago in two and two weeks and look what’s changed in terms of a cold closure and now a semi reopening so we really have to be able to stay flexible we’re going to start the fall because we have to make decisions and we have to make the decisions based on the information that we have now it could be that in two weeks from now or two months from now there could be an opening that’s different that we digest – or closing what’s different we don’t adjust – based on state and local guidelines so I think flexibility is the most important thing that we can deal with when you have this level of uncertainty and I appreciate everybody’s patience around that and I think everybody’s gotten used to that just in terms of their everyday lives the fact that we have to be able to be flexible so I just appreciate everybody’s patience and support for each other and as we know more we’ll let you know more but we’re always going to be guided by science by public health requirements by the CDC and by state and local guidance excellent thank you one more question is about students who are taking courses remotely will they be asked to pay fees well yes that’s the question will they be asked to pay fees even if they will be taking online instruction so the mandatory fees are charged across the board to all students and there’s these as well as the tuition have all been held with the supporting University System Maryland Board of Regents at my 20 rates with the obvious reason being that everyone’s going through financial difficulty due to the pandemic and so we felt it was the right thing to do strongly supported that that said the tuition and mandatory fees are being charged to all students across the board there are some other things that are not mandatory parking for example obviously if someone was not on campus at all there’s no need to purchase a parking pass and that’s where at least some differentiation thank you next questions about contact tracing how will contact tracing be handled for for those of us who provide services in various spaces on campus that are frequently kind of moving around different spaces for example office of Technology Services facilities they cetera so I’ll just tackle that so again we’re partnering with the Baltimore County on that and people that are obviously highly trained and do this for a living and so so I know that we feel like well gee we’re mobile and so that makes it more difficult but so too would a post office worker a grocery store worker whatever so they they’re trained to handle those sorts of mobility people who are highly mobile so so we’ll work with them and we’ll we’ll follow their lead and they’ll help guide us in that that challenge thank you the last question is in regards to our student workers how will they be welcomed back to to campus and and will student workers be an option for the fall term I’ll defer to I think burnin and Melanie

you’re probably employing a lot of them but we are welcoming them back to fall but I’ll defer to to Vernon and Melanie to be able to answer that more specifically you know we look forward to welcoming back student workers you know we will have adjustments to our programming and adjustments to kind of our way of doing doing the work so that will certainly have impact in the numbers of student workers that we’ll have across campus we certainly look forward to welcoming back our student workers as they are important members of our team absolutely looking forward to it so we’ll of course have to follow safety protocols and guidance and so where we can safely have student employees back we are going to welcome them with open arms we can’t wait thank you and really this really is the last question and it’s because it’s come up many times as a follow-up and that is we answered the question fully thank you provost around faculty and students not returning to campus after the thanks after Thanksgiving break but we did not answer it for staff so tell me get some clarification for that and I apologize to our attendees who have made that clear thank you so the so the the the change calendar is for instruction only so basically what happens is is right before a break the students will the instruction will not be on campus so we will vacate the residence halls but when it comes to folks that are working on campus whether these faculty staff or administrators will continue with the low-density efforts that we have and again some people will be teleworking some people will be coming in part time we’re working those out but those will continue for the rest of the fall semester going into the january period till the students then return at the end of mini master and president says i’ll just want to add you know we will have although a very small number we will have some students on campus post-thanksgiving as we did last semester for students who have particular needs extended housing needs and so we we will have student presence although minimal in comparison thank you dr. hurt thank you I think this concludes our our time limit today I’m gonna turn it back over to president Jackson well I just I hope this was helpful there’s much change that’s gonna happen over the next four weeks because the efforts of actually doing the work rather than planning the worker are now happening I were planning on the fact that we would do this again in about four weeks from now hopefully there’ll be more people that are coming to campus at that time too so we’ll start opening the campus up in the gradual phasing so perhaps the questions will change at that point in time but we look forward to being able to do this again in about a four week period of time with more information that will be given please go to the maternity website to be able to do that there’s frequently asked questions those places where you can do that and and once again I just want to say thank you to everyone faculty and staff that are working so hard and collaborating with each other the sense of unity in the sense of support on the campus has just been fantastic so again thank you so much and please stay safe and please stay positive and look forward to seeing more of you in the fall